To facilitate deeper community, Dance Spree periodically hosts retreats - longer, fuller events - that span anywhere from a day to a half-week. The retreats described below have been sponsored by Dance Spree over the past few years and are likely to continue on a semi-regular basis.
We can also, upon request, create a retreat for your group, family, or company based on the themes of freestyle boogie, drum & dance, and social justice. To inquire about having your retreat at Dance Spree, call Jasper at (413)658-7011.
The Martin Luther King
Social Justice Dance Festival
Tentative dates for next year:
January 17-18, 2020 - Greenfield, MA
3rd annual Festival-in-review:
Friday - 4:00-midnight
Advanced African drum class
African Dance & Drum workshops
“I Have a Dream” speech
Drum & Dance
Saturday - 4:30-9:30 (time cut short due to snow)
Open mic for Songs of Freedom & Struggle
Live music & dancing
Social justice boogie with DJ Jed
The Drum at the End of the Rainbow
Our all-ages, all-awesome drum and dance camp will be on hiatus for 2019, returning sometime next year.
2nd annual Camp-in-review (Camp Timber Trails, Tolland, MA)
PRE-CAMP INTENSIVE with Ult Mundane
- A small, committed group of us gathered for potluck dinner Thursday evening.
- Around 9:00pm, a fire was lit for pre-camp opening. Rain began just as we started drumming, so we held on as long as we could.
- The next day, the Friday Intensive for intermediate and advanced drummers hummed along from 9am-5pm as setup continued.
- These 8-10 drummers, together for so long, formed a lasting bond!
- Arrival & welcoming committee began at around 5:30pm
- As people arrived, they added to the omnivorous potluck. Food was provided for Intensive participants.
- Drumming and dancing around the fire from 8-10pm
- Main Camp opening circle, welcoming each other, circled around the fire.
- Due to noise restrictions, indoor drumming and dancing continued for hours, faster and faster and faster - wow!
- Night closed at ~2:00am
- We started bright and early. Breakfast was served at 7:30, and yoga started on time at 8:00am.
- Workshops before lunch: InterPlay and Sacred Nature Mandala.
- The camp grew as many people, having been delayed, arrived during the course of the day
- Workshops after lunch: Dancing All Over the World; Rhythm & Flow Drumming
- We kept a relaxed schedule - plenty of downtime for swimming, napping, and connecting in between activities
- Drumming and dancing around the fire started at around 8:00 pm
- It was a high-energy night, with so many more people and such beautiful weather
- We circled up a little after 10:00 for a heartshare and went deep. We spent a few hours together, though it felt more like a lifetime.
- We ended around embers, the last of our firewood, with a brief ritual as we honored the directions and elements.
- After yoga, we had Vocal Voyagers, Salsa Rueda, and a fun & silly rhythm play group
- The lunch room was full to bursting with networking, new friendships, and plans to see each other again.
- About 20 of us gathered for a heartwarming closing circle at around 2:00pm
- We all ran whistling off into the woods! (well, we drove home.)
Join us next time!